Sunday, January 11, 2009

New Beginnings

The new year marked the start of my new job with the state. My official first day was New Years Day, which I had off, so I'd say that was quite a nice beginning :) I'm within the same division, but am at a different building w/ different coworkers. I'll be doing evaluations of new and existing water supply systems to determine whether they are complying with regulations and documenting other changes. This means a work schedule which is about 50% office and 50% field work. It's pretty rare to find a non-desk job these days, so I'm pretty excited at the opportunity to stretch my legs and see some sunshine while I expand my skills.

Kevin embarked on another house project this week, setting his sights on our kitchen which I have always described as "country bumpkin". After two coats of primer & some spackle we put on the first coat of color today..a green that is kind of a cross between a sage and olive-y color. By "we" I mean Kevin did the painting that requires fine motor skills (edges), and I did the portions that you might trust with a highly-coordinated monkey (the middle). I think Kevin appreciated my company, but as usual, I won't be making the MVP list for our house projects. Don't worry, I bring a different skill set to our relationship, specifically my ability to smell cat pee on the carpet and the ability get the dog to pee quickly on cold/rainy days. So basically, I have a solid base of skills when it comes to pet urination.

In other news, I can now see things! For about 4 years, I have become increasingly dependent on glasses while I drive. Since my new job will put me in and out of a different cars and dragging a bunch of supplies with me, I decided to get contacts so I would have one less thing to keep track of during my travels. I can't believe I waited so long! I can see scores on television! And the time on the DVR! And Kevin picking his nose!!! OK, maybe not the last thing, but really I can't believe how clear things are and feel like I had been missing out before. At this point, it is still a pretty big production to get them in, but I'm thinking this is the start of something wonderful.

3 comments:

Jamie McQ said...

I'm so happy you can SEE now!! :) And I'm excited to see more of how Jackie & Kevin roll.

Unknown said...

Just beware of the mixed up contact lenses in the wrong eye. Makes things interesting. And by the way, nice photo there!

Christy said...

Congrats on the new blog! Maybe some day Chris and I will attempt the same, but alas, our lives are not as interesting as yours. I mean, I can't even get the man to sign up for Facebook!