Wednesday, January 14, 2009

All the cool kids pee their pants

During my interview for my new job, I was asked if I had any limitations that would prevent me performing my job duties which would include trekking through rough terrain and lifting items that weigh up to 40 lbs. Seeing as how I was training for a 1/2 marathon, and had worked at the gym in college (thus, knew what 40 lbs felt like), I said "Of course not!". Little did they know that they left out an important physical consideration, and my limitations were about to be stretched like they never had before. My deficiency can be summarized in two words. Peanut Bladder. Every day, I average about 3-4 hours in the car driven by my male coworkers, whose kidneys must be wired in superior way. Since we are usually caravaning from one location to another with a water system operator, there's rarely an opportunity to stop along the way without feeling like I'm making a fuss, so I just suck it up until we get back to the office. So we go from well site to well site and the FIRST thing that we do when we get there is turn on the water, full blast. Usually this makes me cross my legs and squeeze out a tear (.1 oz less to go in my bladder, victory!). It doesn't seem to matter what I have to drink that morning, I end up with spending half my mental energy telling myself "HOLD ON!"

I confessed my peanut bladder situation to a coworker this morning, and he told me that I could always go in the woods and it's "not THAT hard for women" and "What's REALLY hard is pooping in the woods". I didn't ask him to detail his qualifications in deciding the degrees of difficulty for these events, because I really didn't want to hear any tips on how to grunt one out in the woods. Regardless, I'm just going to assume he would rather stop so I can enjoy the luxury of a gas station potty rather than ride with me while I smell like my own piss since (for me) it's just not as easy as he makes it out to be.

So there ya go, people. Probably not the "cleanest" blogging subject ever, but I didn't promise to tackle important topics here, just talking about things going on in our glamorous lives.

No comments: